Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Hi,

Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> I think I understand the system settings.. it is in fact system
> settings, settings that change how your system behaves.  It isn't
> exactly a place for apps to put themselves.

And yet some apps can be considered part of the system - IM, back-up,
even things like email & calendaring.

And then there are apps that provide system services (things like an
onscreen keyboard, screenshots, an alternative way to share files, a new
IM service, an application-specific screensaver, an alternative
search/indexing tool, etc).

If we hard-code what GNOME supports into the design, when the needs
evolve then we need a centralised decision for each new need. Better to
provide a way for applications to integrate with system settings, and
provide clear guidelines in the HIG on when doing so is appropriate, no?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary