Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

Em Qua, 2011-05-11 às 11:37 +0200, Luca Ferretti escreveu:
> Il giorno mer, 11/05/2011 alle 01.27 +0100, Bastien Nocera ha scritto:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 02:15 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
>
> > > #2 -- will gnome-c-c module englobe _all_ chosen panels? who will
> > > approve them? g-cc maintainers? release team? design team? a pool on
> > > doodle.com :P )?
> >
> > Maintainers and designers. Maintainers meaning that if it's not
> > designed, it won't go in. So really, designers.
>
> Will designers approve external dependencies too?
>
> It's just an example, but... Deja-dup needs duplicity. Deja-dup,
> converted to "Backup" panel inside gnome-control-center, will make
> gnome-control-center depends on duplicity (unless maintainer will make
> it optional, but I suspect designers can say "we want this feature by
> design" and promote it to mandatory). gnome-control-center is part of
> GNOME Desktop core. GNOME Desktop core depends on duplicity... I love
> Aristotelian syllogism :)

Just because deja-dup depends on duplicity doesn't mean the control
center panel needs to as well. It doesn't even have to depend on
deja-dup, instead proposing its installation like Totem and file-roller
handle non-installed formats.

> More, you are staring from a negative point of view. Maybe someone will
> be able to provide a beautiful and well integrated external panel for
> system setting, deja-dup proposal is a perfect example. A project taking
> care to be well integrated in chosen design. It could be a win-win game.

I think the starting point here is not a negative point of view, it's
how GNOME evolved from 2.0 to 2.32 as shipped in most GNOME
distributions. Inviting application developers that want proper
integration with GNOME to work with GNOME designers is a perfectly valid
way to handle this situation.

Cheers,
Evandro