Re: Help Wanted Installing jhbuild on LFS 6.8

Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
You already did. jhbuild will install in whatever you specified as prefix.
[1]

The jhbuild instructions are for people who already have a proper gnome2
install and want to try out gnome3 easily safely: run a shell script,
jhbuild build, jhbuild run gnome-shell --replace. There's no chance that
accidentally overriding your gnome2 gnome-settings-daemon with a gnome3 one
will break your install, because jhbuild doesn't touch your install. There's
a lot of gnome-specific voodoo playing with environment variables,
LD_PRELOAD hacks so that you have no chance of touching anything outside of
your jhbuild prefix.
[2]

But this approach only goes so far: there's eventually going to be a point
where you'll need a newer polkit or networkmanager version, and whoops,
those need to run those as root.

I am unfamiliar iwth LFS: does it have a common packaging or build system?
[3]

[1]
I was not clear. I understand the the 'make install' command was executed by jhbuild and the module was installed in the prefix as a chroot kind of environment, but How does one install Gnome 3 as it is in a distribution? In my Ubuntu system Gnome is not installed in /opt, it is installed in /usr. I believe that this would follow FHS.

[2]
To reiterate an earlier message, the Gnome site indicates using jhbuild in the 'how do I get it' page for Gnome 3. However, they don't seem to address how to use it in a "Live" environment.

[3]
LFS itself does not have a package manager. However there are suggestions offered, and I chose to use a user based package management system referred to as package users. Installs are done as specific package users eg. xorg user installs X windows packages, gnome-core user installs the gnome-core modules...

As it is now my system in development has the basics of a GNU/Linux system, Now I want to add the X windows environment with Gnome 3. I do not have or want Gnome 2 installed.

When I tried with /usr as the prefix, there were some issues beyond the 'etc' directory.

The bootstrap command (run as jhbuild user) failed at nearly every module because it was attempting to re-install packages (some older versions) that had been installed as package users eg. automake was installed as automake user.

root [ / ]# stat /usr/bin/automake
  File: `/usr/bin/automake'
  Size: 257062    	Blocks: 512        IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 811h/2065d	Inode: 266480      Links: 2
Access: (0755/-rwxr-xr-x)  Uid: (10027/automake)   Gid: (10026/automake)
Access: 2011-05-07 19:57:19.000000000 -0700
Modify: 2011-03-24 09:37:18.000000000 -0700
Change: 2011-03-24 09:37:18.000000000 -0700
 Birth: -

jhbuild user cannot over write this user's files.

So I have to figure this out as well.

As always I appreciate the help.

Thanks again, Brian