Re: On the Interaction with the design team

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 16:10 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
>
> > I think you miss the original point of the discussion: Even people that
> > would want to join the discussion have a hard time doing it if
> > everything is discussion on IRC (at a certain time) only.
>
> I would really love to see someone set up official logging of GNOME
> IRC, like MeetBot or whatever.  Several people run private loggers,
> but we'd just need to make clear to participants that it is being
> publicly logged.

Someone set up a logging bot in February. Jon asked him to take it
down, in part because of the lack of a clear message to participants
that they're being logged. [1]

So who's able to make such a statement? What kind of publicity does
it need to be acceptable? A statement in the topic of each channel?
Put it on the wiki? Nobody's going to go read the wiki before joining.
Without clear requirements, this apparent need for notification is
just stop energy on somebody who JF did it four months ago.

Personally, I don't think anybody has any right to privacy on any
public IRC channel. Assume you're being logged. If not by a bot,
then by others in the channel. Because you probably are.

[1] And yes, I realize that bot wasn't "official". But you don't
get things done in a community like ours by demanding that only
approved people make something official from the get-go. You get
things done by letting people do stuff, then saying "Hell yeah,
that rocks. Now let's put it on our infrastructure."

--
Shaun