Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Am Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:15:46 +0200
schrieb Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl>:

> However, that is not our goal. We want something simple. For
> everything part of GNOME Core we have say what it does instead of
> putting the git module name in the menu.

I thought that was what the GenericName entry was supposed to be good
for, so gnome-terminal.desktop would have

Name=GNOME Terminal
GenericName=Terminal
Exec=gnome-terminal

and the runner/menu could use the GenericName unless there's a
clash (cause konsole's GenericName is Terminal as well) where it
could fall back to the Name enties for disambiguation.

So my question regarding all this flood in my inbox would be:

Does gnome-control-center now use "System Settings" for
the GenericName or the Name entry of gnome-control-center so whether
there's a real issue with disambiguation (as long as you want to avoid
invoking the Exec string) or just "runner/menu xyz is too stupid to
resolve ambiguities"?

Cheers,
Thomas