Re: Looking for a volunteer: gnome-system-monitor porting

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:25, Chris Kühl <blixtra gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Thomas H.P. Andersen <phomes gmail com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 22:35, Chris Kühl <blixtra gmail com> wrote:

>>> Not at all. I'll see what I've gotten myself into when I take a closer
>>> look at the code tomorrow. As andre said on IRC, we should use the
>>> following bugs to avoid duplicate work.
>>>
>>> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?bug_id=625883,627568,632799,622928,613752
>>
>> Is the plan to go for gtk3-only or to keep compatibility for gtk2?
>
> Well, gtk3 has removed many of the deprecated symbols so the end
> result will be gtk3 only, from my understanding. However, before I
> switch over to building against gtk3, I'm working on getting
> everything building with gtk2 with the the disable deprecated flags.
> So, there will be a point were g-s-m will build against current gnome
> libraries without the use of deprecated symbols. It's up to the
> maintainers to decide if they want to make a release from that point,
> of course.

Using lots of ifdefs could keep the gtk2 compatibility. I would rather
avoid the extra work so I am just asking before I do any patches.

>> Would it be reasonable to start landing the patches from bugzilla in a
>> branch?
>>

> Yes, I'm taking the patches from the above bug reports.

Having a branch that is converging on compiling with gtk3 would make
it easier to collaborate imo. But I can also just apply the patches
locally and work on top of that.