Re: Looking for a volunteer: gnome-system-monitor porting

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Thomas H.P. Andersen <phomes gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 22:35, Chris Kühl <blixtra gmail com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Joseph Pingenot
>> <gnome-ddl digitasaru net> wrote:
>>> From Chris Kühl on Monday, 24 January, 2011:
>>>>On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Matthias Clasen
>>>><matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
>>>>> Hey,
>>>>> we are shipping a single gtkmm application in the meta-gnome-core
>>>>> moduleset: gnome-system-monitor. It is nice to showcase our C++
>>>>> bindings in this way, and a system-monitor is certainly a utility that
>>>>> one would expect as part of the desktop. Unfortunately, it is still
>>>>> using the 2.x bindings, and there has been no action at all to port it
>>>>> to the bindings that we are actually going to include in GNOME 3.
>>>>> So, the release team is looking for a volunteer to take on porting
>>>>> gnome-system-monitor to gtk3. This should not be all that much work,
>>>>> and there are some patches in bugzilla already.
>>>>> Please coordinate with the maintainers before diving in (I've cc'ed them here).
>>>>I'd like to tackle the port to the 3.0 bindings as Murray has given
>>>>the ok to use Openismus time on this. I can start looking into it and
>>>>talking to the maintainers tomorrow.
>>> Sounds like you're the better option; mind if I give you some patches?  :)
>> Not at all. I'll see what I've gotten myself into when I take a closer
>> look at the code tomorrow. As andre said on IRC, we should use the
>> following bugs to avoid duplicate work.
> Is the plan to go for gtk3-only or to keep compatibility for gtk2?

Well, gtk3 has removed many of the deprecated symbols so the end
result will be gtk3 only, from my understanding. However, before I
switch over to building against gtk3, I'm working on getting
everything building with gtk2 with the the disable deprecated flags.
So, there will be a point were g-s-m will build against current gnome
libraries without the use of deprecated symbols. It's up to the
maintainers to decide if they want to make a release from that point,
of course.

> Would it be reasonable to start landing the patches from bugzilla in a
> branch?

Yes, I'm taking the patches from the above bug reports.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]