Re: Confused about the release

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 16:26 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 15:24 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
>
> > I noticed that we have Contacts, Documents, and Sushi in the
> > apps moduleset.
>
> gnome-documents worries me because of its dependency on Tracker.
>
> As far as I can tell, g-d is linked from
> https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointOne/Features/FindingAndReminding - to
> https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Documents - which are just factual or
> planning pages, not discussion pages.  (FindingAndReminding is even
> marked "obsolete"! - what about the sublinks to Document-Centric Gnome?)

Personally I am overjoyed to see tracker finally get some use inside the
GNOME platform. I have been using it locally for years (and the stable
0.10.x series is great BTW) to manage large collections of papers and
documents. I was becoming rather disappointed with a sentiment that I
saw emerging in GNOME - "local documents are obsolete, its not worth
doing unless it is cloud cloud online cloud tweet".

I was worried we were neglecting a perfectly good solution (tracker)
while waiting for a perfect one (cloud cloud online cloud?).

IMO the tracker miner architecture looks to be able to accommodate
off-site content quite well (flickr, gdocs, etc miners). It looks like
Cosimo concluded the same thing.

I'm happy to see that the async search provider stuff got merged into
shell, so now we can have tracker and ZG extensions for search.

I agree it is sad that ZG has not been picked up here, and documents
seems to have silently replaced a lot of the document centric planning
and your work, but I will take this progress over no progress.

I hope this doesn't turn into another tracker/ZG thread of doom.

John