Re: Confused about the release
- From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico gnome org>
- To: Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Confused about the release
- Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:26:32 -0500
On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 15:24 -0400, Shaun McCance wrote:
> I noticed that we have Contacts, Documents, and Sushi in the
> apps moduleset.
gnome-documents worries me because of its dependency on Tracker.
As far as I can tell, g-d is linked from
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointOne/Features/FindingAndReminding - to
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Documents - which are just factual or
planning pages, not discussion pages. (FindingAndReminding is even
marked "obsolete"! - what about the sublinks to Document-Centric Gnome?)
With the inclusion of gnome-documents, we are validating Tracker as
*the* metadata store for Gnome.
Tracker has many implications, and I would like to see a good discussion
of whether it is the right thing for Gnome.
Some starting points:
- How is an existing $HOME handled?
- What kind of maintenance needs to be done on the database?
- Are we storing full-text indexes in the same database?
- Are we storing non-metadata (e.g. contacts) in the database?
- How do we handle metadata movement when files move around?
- Is Tracker well-maintained now that Nokia is switching to something
else? (I'm not sure if this is the right question, but something along
] [Thread Prev