Re: GNOME user survey 2011 (v4)

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 19:42 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> > On 19 August 2011 14:13, Felipe Contreras <felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
> >> Is there anyone in the universe able to create a user survey worthy of
> >> GNOME? Can you convince him of doing so?
> >
> > Do your survey with the questions you want, and come to your own
> > conclusions. Blog about them if you want. You could even convince a
> > distribution to include a popup with a link, although I think that's
> > insane.
> >
> > Just don't tell people that it's from the GNOME project, in any way
> > authorized or blessed by the ruling cabal[1] or developers. I'm pretty
> > sure the majority of the people actually working on GNOME 3.2 don't
> > want a survey at all.
> >
> > Sorry to be blunt.
>
> No, thanks for the direct feedback. So basically you are saying
> there's no way any survey of any quality would be blessed by the GNOME
> community. That certainly clarifies things.

It seems obvious from most responses here that there are not very many
people within the GNOME community that think that this sort of a survey
would be beneficial, and worry that it may even be counter-productive.
outrage mode. You pretend that it is impossible to simultaneously care
about what users while also opposing a user survey that has no hope of
being a representative sample of users.

It is possible for well-meaning people to come to different conclusions
on the best methods for achieving a certain goal.  It seems that most
people here don't agree with your methods.  Please accept the fact that
this does not mean that they hate users, despite your attempts to
conflate the two things.

You are free to proceed with your survey on your own.  Others are free
to not wish to join you.  It's that simple.  Can you please stop the
faux outrage?

jonner