Re: GNOME user survey 2011 (v4)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
> <zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Felipe Contreras
>> <felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing is ever perfect, but having at least some results is better
>>> than nothing.
>>
>>  Since you have repeated this assertion a few times, I must ask: What
>> if the results are all wrong and we don't have any way of knowing
>> that? Would those results still be better than nothing in your
>> opinion?
>
> What do you mean by all wrong? Let's assume that the results show that
> 1000 people are not happy with GNOME. How can that be wrong?

  Maybe they all lied? Maybe people who are satisfied do not want to
or have time to take part in surveys and you only get people who are
not happy into the survey? In which case, the results may show results
that are not correct. i-e a significantly large number of participant
say that they are very unhappy with GNOME but what if that number is
nothing compared to the number of people who are very much satisfied
with GNOME?

  I didn't say this so far because it might sound like I am trying to
make a joke but since you still insist on your assertions about the
survey, I feel I must say this: How do you know people in general like
to participate in surveys? It is my observation that most people do
not like to do that, unless they have something to complain about. Now
this observation of mine could very well be wrong but how do we know
that? Do we do a survey to find out if people like to participate in
surveys?

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)