Re: GNOME user survey 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 12:21 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> But what if you get:
> 2% users answered 'Too many options'
> 10% users answered 'just enough'
> 88% users answered 'few options'
>
> I repeat, the worst that could happen is that the results of the
> question don't provide any value, so you wasted one question... big
> deal. You remove it in the next one.

That is still not useful information. Developers aren't going
to add options for the sake of adding options. "Users want
more options? I guess I better hunt through my program to see
what I can make configurable." That's absurd.

We need to know what users want to change, and (importantly)
why they want to change it. Aggregate statistics on this, even
if accurate and significant, are not actionable.

--
Shaun