Re: GNOME user survey 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 11:00 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> I do see the relevance, as I think it has been a big point of
> >> contention raised by many users.
> >
> > Something should be done with a survey. No matter the outcome of this
> > question, you won't be able to take these results and change things.
> >
> > Asking if people want more configuration options goes against why
> > options are removed. Ideally everything should happen automatically.
> >
> > I'm only interested in the cases where it doesn't work.
>
> I other words, you are saying that it doesn't matter if 100% of the
> responders of this survey say GNOME has too few options, nothing would
> be done? Is there *any* kind of evidence that would convince GNOME ppl
> that users want more options? Or is it what the wishes of users are
> completely irrelevant?

First at all, you need to define a goal, what are you going to do with
the results and what kind of actions would be needed to improve the
results in a future survey.

That said, if you get:
40% users answered 'Too many options'
10% users answered 'just enough'
50% users answered 'few options'

Then, so what? There is no useful information you can get from this.
"What do we need to improve? Add more options." (!?)

Having configuration options is an implementation detail.  Olav points
it out correctly, and his suggestions goes in the right directions:
"does GNOME do what you want?" with a text field to specify what it
lacks.  The results should be far more concrete than asking whether they
like it or not.

So, how can you formulate better questions for a survey? Taking a text
book of HCI.  For instance: http://hcibib.org/tcuid/index.html  In
particular the chapters 4 and 5 (Evaluating the Design with and without
users).  The type of questions is more or less similar.

Another text book could be http://goo.gl/wkBje (not available online,
though).  Part 4 (chapter 20 to 27).

Later, you might want to run an Heuristic analysis in order to get more
concrete and objetive points, set goals, etc.  Having several evaluators
will help you to get the common findings and discuss the differences,
which would lead the set the proper questions for a survey or user
study.

Regards,

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño