Re: GNOME user survey 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 11:00 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Something should be done with a survey. No matter the outcome of this
>> > question, you won't be able to take these results and change things.
>> >
>> > Asking if people want more configuration options goes against why
>> > options are removed. Ideally everything should happen automatically.
>> >
>> > I'm only interested in the cases where it doesn't work.
>>
>> I other words, you are saying that it doesn't matter if 100% of the
>> responders of this survey say GNOME has too few options, nothing would
>> be done? Is there *any* kind of evidence that would convince GNOME ppl
>> that users want more options? Or is it what the wishes of users are
>> completely irrelevant?
>
> First at all, you need to define a goal, what are you going to do with
> the results and what kind of actions would be needed to improve the
> results in a future survey.

No, you don't.

Having been involved in the development of the Git user survey for
years, I can tell you that there's no concrete goal, it's just to
collect information. Many question didn't seem like they would get
interesting results, but after getting the results, it turned out that
they did. But it's only _afterwards_ that you can say for sure. Sure,
some of the questions look like could be removed, since they are not
providing any value, but it's only _afterwards_ that we know that.

> That said, if you get:
> 40% users answered 'Too many options'
> 10% users answered 'just enough'
> 50% users answered 'few options'

But what if you get:
2% users answered 'Too many options'
10% users answered 'just enough'
88% users answered 'few options'

I repeat, the worst that could happen is that the results of the
question don't provide any value, so you wasted one question... big
deal. You remove it in the next one.

--
Felipe Contreras