Re: Online Accounts panel for 3.2

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 09:08 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Implementation-wise, I can see this as a very minimal daemon / library
> that sits below libsocialweb, Telepathy, e-d-s and other APIs (e.g.
> these libraries/frameworks would use this new framework) that is
> dealing data online accounts. This daemon / library would

This is awesome.  It sounds like it will dovetail beautifully with the
work I'm doing on the E-D-S side right now to overhaul the way we manage
account info.  It's all going to be unified under a single API which is
fittingly named "ESource".

My idea was that for online services like Google or accounts on a
groupware server like Zimbra or Exchange, something provides a UI for
the user to fill out the basic details.  The tool then generates a set
of specially formatted GKeyFiles and deposits them into a designated
user directory which E-D-S is monitoring.  E-D-S then sees the new key
files, parses them into ESource objects, and adds them to an internal
registry.

If a client like Evolution is running, it would also notice the new key
files and immediately present them in its source list, usually shown in
the sidebar.

What you're describing sounds like the missing piece in my project.

Matthew Barnes