Re: Online Accounts panel for 3.2

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 09:08 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> This daemon/library thing, let's call it GOA (Gnome Online Accounts),
> would _not_ be a mechanism to access any of these services. But it
> would provide e.g. libsocialweb, telepathy, e-d-s and so on with
> either the username/password combo or the OAuth token, whatever is
> appropriate.
>
> I would imagine Telepathy/Empathy to use GOA to get the Chat accounts
> that is configured in GOA (in the above example, it would be Google
> Talk from zeuthen gmail com and Facebook Chat for davidz25). I would
> use an Empathy specific preferences window (not appearing in
> gnome-control-center I think) to add e.g. my ICQ account.

This is very doable.

On Meego Netbook we wrote a Telepathy Mission Control plugin that got
the accounts from libsocialweb. Within Empathy's accounts capplet it
then showed the Facebook account name, an enable/disable toggle (which
was also shown in Web Accounts) and a button that launched the Web
Accounts editor.

There is also a different SSO plugin for Meego Handset. I mention the
former one because it was specifically designed for the desktop and to
integrate with Empathy.

~

The Web Accounts dialog on Meego is called 'bisho'. It's pluggable,
allowing the provision for extra authentication mechanisms (e.g. for
Facebook we required both the OAuth2 token AND a legacy Facebook Connect
token *).

* Tokens are stored in the keyring.

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk