Re: [Usability] gnome 3

tor 2011-04-14 klockan 11:04 +0100 skrev Bastien Nocera:
On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 11:53 +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:

> - Theme.

Both of those you can tweak using gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell
extensions.

You'd better try it before making further comments though, I'm sure
you'll enjoy it :)

This was one thing that surprised me with gnome 3, that all the fun customizations was gone by default unless you install the tweak-tool. For me it is ok, since I mostly run standard themes, but people like to be able to change themes, run a silly screensaver, change the fonts of the window borders and so on. And even if I do not change these settings, removing them from the default gives me a feeling of "the gnome people" is the dictators and the users have to adapt. I'm sure there where good reasons for not including the Appearance capplet, like the theaming in the shell not being ready for primetime or something, but I think it may have sent the wrong signals. I hope we still want Gnome to be a fun and happy desktop environment, that lets the user mess around.

I'm a big fan of the work done with gnome 3... I haven't been this excited about gnome for years, I really love the design. So this issue is not a big problem for me but I think it might be good to think no only about the practical implications of removing something, but also about the signals it will send.

//Mattias