Re: GApplication is going away

In general

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca> wrote:

>  - the weirdness of a constructor that sometimes exit()s your program

We need some API that eventually calls exit()...it's just something we
have to live with as we try to cobble together an operating system on
top of unix and .desktop files.

>  - actions can't have parameters

Why can't that be added later.

>  - GApplication as it stands is incapable of implementing the mockups we
>   saw for the shell -- its support for putting actions on the
>   application menu is extremely limited

It works for the basic things.

>  - the "gedit as $EDITOR" use case

Can be added later.

>  - the way that application lifecycle was defined was not sufficiently
>   flexible

NEEDINFO?

>  - it didn't do some things that almost every app would want to have
>   done for it

Like...what?

>  - the missed chance to implement the "use dbus to launch apps" ability

I don't think we miss the chance; there could be a GIO extension point added
later, so that if an app is executed directly via unix binary, we instead send
a message to org.gnome.Session to launch it.