Re: Platform for Developer Documentation

Alberto/Shaun:

I agree that there is no reason why the developer docs should not
include good documentation for modules such as PackageKit, PulseAudio,
PolicyKit, and udev (DeviceKit & friends or whatever they are called
this month).

That said, OpenSolaris does not distribute any of these.  How distros
manage packages can be very distro specific, so PackageKit is likely
not a good fit for everyone.  On OpenSolaris, PolicyKit has never been
adopted due to the fact that OpenSolaris uses RBAC which provides (or
can provide) similar functionality.  udev is currently very Linux
specific.  I am a bit on the fence about PulseAudio - perhaps it may be
integrated into OpenSolaris at some point, though it seems far more
useful & interesting when using Linux-specific ALSA.

I do recognize that most people who distribute GNOME ship with these
modules, so I am all for delivering good documentation for them.

However, I do think more energy should be focused on the truly
cross-platform interfaces that everybody uses.  At the very least, the
documentation should avoid making assumptions about these sorts of
interfaces being used by everyone.  Especially when information about
these interfaces are mentioned in the documentation for truly cross-
platform interfaces.  For example, if the docs for a desktop
application like totem or nautilus needs to discuss udev of PolicyKit,
it should be made clear that not everybody uses these and that other
mechanisms may need to be used on some distros.

Brian