Re: Modulesets Reorganization

Hi!

> ...total nightmare...
> ...crush all these efforts...
>
> I understand that change is uncomfortable and incites fear, but can we
> please lay off the melodramatic voice here ?

Good idea, sorry if my previous mail probably failed a bit here.

> 1. We have an ever-growing set of modules and a constantly expanding
> set of external dependencies. It is basically impossible to get a
> complete jhbuild tree built at any given time.

I think the point is rather about the "Application" module (or for the
lack of it). Many people (including me) would like to see an official set
of "blessed applications" that are known to be accessible, translated,
stable and that follow the schedule. And this should be formal rather than
only a promotion set.

> 2. The much touted homogeneity and consistent quality of GNOME is
> (imho) largely a thing of the past. There have been no organized UI
> reviews of new modules in a long time, the HIG has not been updated to
> match the UIs we see in current applications.

Something we should fix? I think so!

> 3. The release team is not growing (in fact, several members have
> already announced their plans to step down after 3.0)

> For things to be different and better in GNOME3, we need a shared
> vision that applications can strive to follow - where is the updated
> HIG for GNOME3 ? Where is the roadmap that leads us beyond the next 6
> month release cycle ?
>
> And we need people to step up and work on this shared vision. Where
> are the new release team members ? Where are the people who are
> willing to update the HIG and do UI reviews to make it take effect ?

Well, you cannot point on the community here:
"The release team is not directly elected, but should be representative of
the GNOME community. Membership is normally by invite and recommendation
when one person leaves."

I am sure there are people who want to help out!

But I fully agree that we should put effort into creating the vision. This
discussion and the discussion on the foundation-list are a good starting
point though.

Regards,
Johannes