Re: External Dependency Proposal: libappindicator

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 00:25 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > That's a great idea.  What do you think would be a good API/name
> for a
> > > function that did that?  Do you think it should take an array of
> actions
> > > or some sort of root action?  Do you think that the function that
> takes
> > > a GtkMenu * should be deprecated?
> >
> > It seems to me that it should probably take a GtkUIManager path.
> >
> > It can then serialise the menu description and association
> GtkActions
> > over the bus to be recreated on the other side.
> >
> > Applications creating their menus directly and not using
> GtkUIManager
> > should probably be ported anyway.
>
> There's a number of things you cannot do with GtkUIManager and
> GtkActions though, which is have access to the presentation of the
> menus.
>
> In gnome-bluetooth, I'd like to have bold menu items to represent
> connected devices. I would also like to have some control over whether
> device names will be ellipsised (or how). Both of which are currently
> not possible with GtkActions.

This is not impossible. You just have to add some custom data to the
GtkAction and a custom connect_proxy callback that applies this to the
widgets.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a gun-slinging amnesiac barbarian who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
time-travelling out-of-work widow prone to fits of savage, blood-crazed rage.
They fight crime!