Re: External Dependency Proposal: libappindicator

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 22:54 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:

> > It would be much cleaner to
> > either expose the underlying dbus api or proxy something that is
> > explicitly designed with this in mind: GtkActions.
>
> That's a great idea.  What do you think would be a good API/name for a
> function that did that?  Do you think it should take an array of actions
> or some sort of root action?  Do you think that the function that takes
> a GtkMenu * should be deprecated?

It seems to me that it should probably take a GtkUIManager path.

It can then serialise the menu description and association GtkActions
over the bus to be recreated on the other side.

Applications creating their menus directly and not using GtkUIManager
should probably be ported anyway.

I would remove any API that takes a GtkMenu directly, since this is a
GtkWidget and really cannot be reliably proxied over D-Bus (what would
happen if I tried to poke in some of the widget properties of that
GtkMenu?).

--danni

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk