Re: Module Proposal: PDF Mod

Hi
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com> wrote:
> I'm not exactly excited to enter a possible flame fest when I'm happy
> doing my hacking and having users find me and tell me they like the
> results.  But, in case others agree GNOME could benefit from this, I'm
> proposing PDF Mod for inclusion in GNOME 2.30.
> Miscellaneous: People have raised the idea of adding PDF Mod's
> functionality to Evince.  Some good reasons why having them separate
> is best:
> 1) Each app is simpler this way; users can't get into edit mode
> accidentally and be confused
> 2) Quoting Evince maintainers: "Editing capabilities are actually out
> of scope in evince, see bug #314683."
> 3) In that bug they encourage the creation of a tool like PDF Mod

This makes sense, but I think that a good solution to this problem
would be to not bundle PDF Mod with the default desktop, but have a
menu item or some such in Evince which would say, "Edit this PDF ..."
and integrate with packagekit/whoever in some way to install PDF Mod,
or run it if already existing.

Sam