Re: application indicators

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Ted Gould <ted gould cx> wrote:

>> I think that, as long as the APIs are really similar, porting from
>> libappindicator to the GAppIndicator (or whatever) shouldn't be too
>> difficult.  That being said, how can we make sure the APIs are really
>> similar?
>
> Assuming the design doesn't change, any API delta (as long as it's not
> too egregious) is less interesting than the simple inertia effect of
> having created a lot of patches for various projects, and patching
> them again, even if it's almost a sed job.

Whether the design needs change or not needs to be evaluated in the
context of gnome-shell, of course. This would be much easier if the
development for app-indicators hadn't happened behind closed doors.

Just adding app-indicators as an external dep. now without working out
how they fit in the gnome3 picture does not make any sense.