Re: Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

El mié, 29-12-2010 a las 10:05 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi escribió:
> On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 09:43 +0100, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
>
> > > it is, in fact, an exact assessment of what anyone who wishes to keep
> > > the old user experience should do: there's no need to ever upgrade if
> > > the 2.x UX is doing the job.
> >
> > My only concern is people who *can't* use gnome-shell because of
> > hardware requirements, and it isn't a matter of buying a new computer,
> > my previous laptop was a modern one, but the nvidia card made imposssible
> > to use gnome-shell for more than 5 minutes.
>
> that is a driver bug; let's not conflate bugs with design choices.
>
> bugs gets fixed, eventually; in this case you're blocked by the fact
> that the driver in question is closed source, and the open source
> replacement for it is not yet mature enough. it is still, though, a
> driver bug.

This is not only affecting to some nvidia users, for example in my case,
my father actively uses a PentiumIV with an ATI 9200 card and its 3D
support was always... well, slow and very unstable. We are able to get
some games like extreme-tuxracer or gl117 running (even torcs is "so
much" for that and loses a lot of frames). But trying to run compiz or
metacity with compositing enabled always lead to X crashing.

Support for that ATI 9200 was always horrible, even knowing the efforts
done, it is still behaving poorly with xf86-video-ati-6.13.1

The same occurred for me on a Dell Optiplex 360 that has an integrated
Intel card, my tries for having stable 3D support for it failed (this
occurred at mid 2009) and I finally opted for using a nVidia 9300 GE
with propietary drivers that, with my experience, are the only one that
caused me no problems for having a proper 3D support (and lead me to
always try to have a nvidia card)