Re: Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 23:07 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 28/12/2010 alle 16.50 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi ha scritto:
> > On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 13:42 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
>
> > > Sergey, who sometimes prefers to look backwards rather than forward
> >
> > no problem with that. you can maintain the old user experience for
> > yourself and never upgrade.
>
> "and snarkyness is never going to get you anything, mmkay? (cit.)"
>
> :P

it wasn't at all meant to be snarky[0], nor was I sarcastic in any way,
shape or form.

it is, in fact, an exact assessment of what anyone who wishes to keep
the old user experience should do: there's no need to ever upgrade if
the 2.x UX is doing the job.

+++

by the way, this whole thread is pretty angry and confrontational - or,
at least, it feels a lot that way.

the 3.x UX is not complete, and will probably take some development
cycles to iterate over the various ideas that are being experimented; I
think it's been implied many times, since we all know that the 2.x UX
took years to reach the point where we had to chuck a lot of it away to
make room for something that was designed from the ground up, instead of
the result of "convergent bumping around of ideas". I don't think anyone
in the Shell team or in the gnome-design team has stopped taking into
consideration new ideas - though, obviously, they have to balance that
with the resources being what they are.

this whole thread, like the *many* others that preceded it, has been
fairly aggressive in the pushback of the new design - it doesn't
implement that pet feature, it requires hardware capabilities that not
every one is willing to commit to, etc. - and while on one side my
initial reaction was to say: "well, tough - here's a nickel kid, go buy
yourself a better computer; and if you want to keep using gnome2 feel
free to maintain the pieces you require; and if you don't want to, then
there's the door: don't let the it kick you in the ass too hard on your
way out"; but that was just my initial reaction, and I'm *really* trying
(and willing) to tune that down. might be that the old age is finally
catching up on me.

I understand the pushback to changes. I understand that something that
was designed from the ground up is still missing some feature. I
understand that that design calls for some drastic changes in how the
user experience should be shaped, which means that some features will
not be implemented. these are choices made by people that generally know
what they are doing, and that have been trusted for years by the whole
community of people that show up in GNOME. I'm pretty sure they haven't
been replaced by pod people. I guess the same measure of trust should be
still applied, even if we don't immediately see the endgame.

if that measure of trust cannot, or will not, be applied then we can
give up creating a coherent Operating System, and we can go back
maintaining separate pieces of an OS, with small time collaboration
between projects, and design deferred to drive-by ad horizontal patching
done by heroes trying to drain the swamp.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

[0] unlike the time when I replied to you with the phrase you quoted.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name
B: http://blogs.gnome.org/ebassi