Re: Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

Hi!

Am Dienstag, den 28.12.2010, 13:09 +0000 schrieb Sergey Udaltsov:

Actually, your advice effectively stops people from upgrading their
distros, unless the distro choses to support both gnome2 and gnome3 -
which I'm afraid will not be the case for most of them. To be fair,
gnome2+3 maintenance may be not trivial, at least GNOME does not
bother separating binaries by name.

As pointed out before the fallback-mode is not a continuation of GNOME 2. It was just the easiest way to create a fallback because we don't have the resources to create a non-3D shell that could act as a fallback. As we have gnome-panel already it was choosen as the fallback mode.

BTW, nobody forbids you to create a gnome-sergeys-applets module that is compatible with the GNOME3 gnome-panel and ships all the applets you want. But it will just not be part of the default moduleset.

Regards,
Johannes