Re: Re: gnome-panel & gnome-applets?

2010/12/28 Sergey Udaltsov <sergey udaltsov gmail com>
> What you want is not Gnome 3 then. You want to continue using Gnome 2
> and there's no one preventing you from doing that.
So, why bother maintaining gnome2 support mode at all? "go to hell,
just do not upgrade" is unbeatable argument, I must admit.

I think though it might be initially painful not having applets.  But if you look at what applets are available they seem fairly repetitious.  The exception for me personally is the system monitor applet which I think is very useful as apps do spin out of control or take a lot of memory.  That can be addressed once libgtop is converted to gobject-introspection so we can get _javascript_ bindings.

But over next couple of releases after 3.0, we should be able to get people to start writing useful extensions to bridge gaps from the old applets to shell extensions.  I think the lack of applets will be a little tricky to manage from a release perspective since there are clearly many people like yourself that are alarmed that such a functionality is being removed and it will be important to underline the context on why it is removed before things start taking a negative spin in media.

It will be important to get people writing extensions before the release happens i think.  (sorry went into marketing mode...!)

Actually, your advice effectively stops people from upgrading their
distros, unless the distro choses to support both gnome2 and gnome3 -
which I'm afraid will not be the case for most of them. To be fair,
gnome2+3 maintenance may be not trivial, at least GNOME does not
bother separating binaries by name.

I think in this case, if you don't meet the requirements that it might be better not to upgrade till Gnome 3 hits feature parity.  I don't know what the world looks like these days in terms of computer capabilities.  I don't want to see us alienate large swathes of our 3% desktop market share. :-)

There should be some idea though on how to convert such users to gnome 3 at some point, and that might be something something as simply improving things so that they do work comfortably.  I remember it took quite a while for nautilus to be where it is today.

My two cents.

sri