Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

Le mardi 15 juin 2010 à 11:28 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> On 06/15/2010 11:03 AM, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> > However please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> You are not wrong, but off point.  What I'm saying is that (unlike what
> Josselin said) symbol versioning doesn't fix any problem in gtk+.  I'm not
> talking about any other library.

We talked about it today on #debian-devel, and it turns out there is a
very serious problem that is fixed by symbol versioning in GTK+.

$ objdump -p /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
[snip]
  NEEDED      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

Now load this plugin in an epiphany or firefox process built against
GTK3, and have fun.

The problem doesn’t happen with versioned symbols, since the plugin and
the browser don’t exchange widgets.

The Qt maintainer raised similar concerns with konqueror using
QGtkStyle, which uses GTK2 to draw widgets, with the totem browser
plugin built against GTK+ 3.

--
 .''`.
: :' :      “Fuck you sir, don’t be suprised when you die if