Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> wrote:
> We talked about it today on #debian-devel, and it turns out there is a
> very serious problem that is fixed by symbol versioning in GTK+.
>
> $ objdump -p /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
> [snip]
>  NEEDED      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
>
> Now load this plugin in an epiphany or firefox process built against
> GTK3, and have fun.
>
> The problem doesn’t happen with versioned symbols, since the plugin and
> the browser don’t exchange widgets.
>
> The Qt maintainer raised similar concerns with konqueror using
> QGtkStyle, which uses GTK2 to draw widgets, with the totem browser
> plugin built against GTK+ 3.

I think latest Firefox should work fine, since they run the plugins in
a different process. We are checking the feasibility of doing the same
for WebKitGTK+ before GNOME 3.0, which would also solve the issue.
Which is to say, it would be nice if we didn't have the problem in the
first place, but a solution for it is definitely in our plans.

Xan