Re: Appearance properties

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 15:39 +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:

> What I find totally insane is to not leave the UI to change that. New
> settings is clearly not accepted by a large (majority?) part of users.
> Except ~5 devs,

I really don't think making some imaginary stats up is going to help the
discussion. I for one am of this mysterious species called "user" and
very happy with the change, as I find it to be cleaner and less
distracting.

Besides that I really doubt the part about a majority of users being
against it, and even if I can't add some "objective" facts at least I
can offer a different view: As some of you might know I'm a journalist
covering Linux stuff and so I've written quite a few pieces where I
mentioned this change in detail. But even though we have a very vocal
community (and people are more likely to complain than to praise in
online-forums) the icon removal was discussed only very very briefly.
For instance recently we ran a piece about Ubuntu 9.10 and about
problems people are seeing with it and not a single one out of 245
postings even mentioned the icon change.

So while all this might be a very important and heated discussion for
some who don't like the new default setting (or are generally against
changes), claiming that the majority of users is against it is just
making things up.

bye
Andreas

--