Re: git and trailing whitespace

Behdad Esfahbod schrieb:
> On 05/05/2009 05:59 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Behdad Esfahbod<behdad behdad org>
>> wrote:

>>    Strongly agree with you. :)
>>
>>> The default git pre-commit scripts (disabled by default) has a check
>>> for
>>> that.  In cairo, we recommend enabling it (by way of chmod +x
>>> .git/hooks/pre-commit), but with gtk-docs, it's necessary to turn
>>> that off
>>> at times.  Something to keep in mind.
>>>
>>> I personally always do a "git diff" before commit, and look for
>>> red-background blocks that represent trailing whitespace and fix them
>>> myself.
>>
>>    I do the same and AFAIK this is common practice amongst many
>> developer who have been using git. However, not everyone does that and
>> therefore the need for a rule for this. I said rule rather than policy
>> since I seriously doubt anyone can point out any positive points of
>> "trailing whitespace", it only causes annoyance. Corrections to my
>> strong opinions always welcomed of course. :)
>
> As I tried to point out, gtk-doc introduces them, and having people
> manually rip that off is a pain.
Where do you *need* them? Are you reffering to:
"All lines (outside program-listings and CDATA sections) just containing
a ' *' (blank-asterisk) are converted to paragraph breaks.
If you don't want a paragraph break, change that into ' *  '
(blank-asterisk-blank-blank)."

If so, then imho this is quite a corner case. Please can use CDATA and
fix it, or we introduce a new syntax in gtk-doc.

If this is in generated tmpl files - they are deprecated, please get rid
of them. gtk-doc offers even support for the migration. I can't do this
for whole of gnome.

Stefan