Re: git and trailing whitespace

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> On 05/05/2009 05:00 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
>> Anyway, Owen said he didn't want to fight this fight. I guess I can
>> understand that, and I don't really want to fight this fight
>> either. Nonetheless I think this would be good to have and the least I
>> can do is mentioning this on desktop-devel and asking for opinions. So
>> here I go.
>>
>> Opinions?

  Strongly agree with you. :)

> The default git pre-commit scripts (disabled by default) has a check for
> that.  In cairo, we recommend enabling it (by way of chmod +x
> .git/hooks/pre-commit), but with gtk-docs, it's necessary to turn that off
> at times.  Something to keep in mind.
>
> I personally always do a "git diff" before commit, and look for
> red-background blocks that represent trailing whitespace and fix them
> myself.

  I do the same and AFAIK this is common practice amongst many
developer who have been using git. However, not everyone does that and
therefore the need for a rule for this. I said rule rather than policy
since I seriously doubt anyone can point out any positive points of
"trailing whitespace", it only causes annoyance. Corrections to my
strong opinions always welcomed of course. :)

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124