Re: WebKitGTK+ as an external dependency

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 21:15 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:
> > 2009/5/4 Xan Lopez <xan gnome org>:
> >
> > <snip>
> >> I'd like to end the email by requesting feedback from all the module
> >> maintainers that are considering a switch to WebKitGTK+
> > Could be also good have a minimal feedback from distro packagers. I
> > suppose that even though all relevant GNOME Desktop modules will be
> > switched to WebKitGtk, distros will continue to provide Firefox as
> > standard browser. So Fedora or Ubuntu, for example, will have to put
> > both Firefox (default browser) and WebKitGtk (as HTML rendering
> > library for Yelp Help Browser) in their install CD.
> >
> > But they have a constraint on size, 700MB. Due to this, Ubuntu don't
> > provide the GIMP own help browser.
>
> That's so wrong it hurts. We should use technical measures to decide
> which deps go in. WebKitGtk is not a Firefox alternative. Firefox is a
> web browser that happens to include Gecko.

Right. That is Ubuntu's decision for the base install. Most users get
extra features after the install, and it happens automatically after
upgrades.

GNOME needs to choose what is best for itself. Moreover, Epiphany can
never be best if it uses Gecko. Ubuntu can reconsider its decision when
Epiphany demonstrates that it is better.

> Gecko (xulrunner) is a web kitchen sink - a set of parsers, a
> rendering engine, a JS engine and a completely new graphical toolkit -
> all designed with building web browsers in mind. WebKitGtk is a set of
> embeddable GTK+ widgets based on WebKit - designed with embedding in
> mind. It's actually easier to build a web browser with WebKitGtk than
> to embed Gecko in an application such as a web browser or an instant
> messaging apps.

Agreed. Gecko is hard to work with. Firefox, is slow and unreliable
because too much of the UI is going through an adaption layer. [1]

> Of course it's my opinion and you are free to disagree with the above
> or you can raise valid concerns like a11y not being fully functional
> in WebKitGtk but please not judge software by their size (especially
> if Gecko is actually bigger than WebKitGtk even including the
> webinspector module).
>
> PS: 700 MB limit in 2009 is as good as a floppy :)

The CD size is a policy decision, not a logistical decision. If forces
the distro to make a clear demarcation about what is required. The
driver for change will more likely be USB sticks, not DVDs since that is
more relevant for machines with an optical disk reader.

[1] And Firefox's adaption layer crashes compiz and or X when I do
    things like type in the location bar under Ubuntu Jaunty.
    /me run starry-eyed into the arms or Epiphany-webkit

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.