Re: GMime as an external dependency

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 20:08, Colin Walters<walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Luca Ferretti<elle uca libero it> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> 2009/7/24 Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net>:
>>>
>>> If so this totally blocks GTK3 readiness for applications that depend on
>>> gtk-sharp I assume?
>>>

>> OT: could gobject-introspetion help us to keep C# bindinding updated
>> to latest version? If yes, isn't 3.0 the right time to "port" all
>> bindings it?
>
> It'd be really hard to do this without breaking API/ABI for the
> popular bindings.  So I'd suggest not to do this for major bindings.
> However, for more minor bindings or for binding faster moving
> libraries, or for creating a binding for existing C code, yes, looking
> at using the introspection annotations and tooling makes sense.

I like Johan's approach for PyBank: add a module to pygobject that
allows using introspection to call new and old libraries while
retaining compatibility with objects from the old bindings.

This allows new apps to use only introspection and existing apps to
move gradually to introspection, starting perhaps with new stuff that
didn't got into the generated/manual bindings.

Regards,

Tomeu