Re: GNOME and non-linux platforms (release team please stand up)

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Christian Fredrik Kalager
Schaller<uraeus gnome org> wrote:

> So I would like to ask the GNOME release team to please come forward
> and clearly state that the future of GNOME is to be a linux desktop
> system as opposed to a desktop system for any Unix-like system.

Why would we do that ? This is not a question about exclusion, it is a
question about moving the platform forward that our desktop is
standing on.

A desktop that is based on a stagnant, costly abstraction layer may be
easier to get running on a large number of minority unixoid platforms,
but the cost of that approach is that we are not going to be able to
compete with other desktops that make the changes in the lower layers
which are necessary to provide desktop features of 2010, rather than
2000.

Matthias