RE: GNOME vs KDE vs Xfce vs Win7DWM vs Apple Quartz?

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 05:39 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> (Please do not full quote and reply below the quoted text. Thanks.)
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 16.12.2009, 04:44 +0100 schrieb Uros Nedic:
> > And, for the end of this reply - when, for example, Mathematica
> > release its Linux
> > version, is it for GNOME, KDE, Xfce, or some fourth DE? How do they
> > make decisions
> > for which DE their version will be linked?
>
> There's no "version for GNOME" or "version for KDE".
> What you probably mean is which toolkit is used - GTK+, Qt, or another
> one. That decision is up to those porting and publishing the software.
> IIRC Adobe Reader for example uses GTK+, and Skype uses Qt.

For the record, and only because I think some people might
find it interesting, Mathematica uses Qt but decidedly does
not target any desktop environment.  For the longest time,
it wasn't even in the applications menu, and double-clicking
a notebook in Nautilus didn't do the right thing.

It was only after (quite a while after) we got this stuff
straightened out on freedesktop.org that they bothered.

Commercial vendors don't want to pick sides.  If they do pick
sides, it won't be based on startup time or memory consumption
of the desktop.  It will be based on popularity in their target
market.  And they sure don't want to jump through hoops to do
things differently in different environments.

--
Shaun