Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 17:44 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:
> On 18/08/09 17:28, Lennart Poettering wrote:
<snip>

> >> Are you volunteering? :)
> >
> > I am not hacking on Tracker, am I?
>
> And Tracker is not the kernel either, it is also not the only
> application that could benefit :)

Right, so you don't want to do the work[1], you could at least engage
people who can work on fixing the problem. I didn't see anyone coming
from Tracker talk about what interfaces they would need before it was
discussed at GCDS this year.

Let's assume the indexer is still broken.

There's one provider of data to store (Evolution), and no consumers.
Even when you add the Flickr and Facebook miners, there's still no
consumer for it.

In the present state, it's -1 from me.

I don't see the point in having it in the desktop (or the developer
platform) if there's nothing using it.

Work on the integration in the desktop as a showcase.

Cheers

[1]: Note that GNOME has been particularly good about engaging X and
kernel developers in the past, and even doing the work when there wasn't
even movement. This is the sort of attitude we want to see from GNOME
projects.