Re: New module proposal: tracker

On 18/08/09 19:17, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 17:44 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:
On 18/08/09 17:28, Lennart Poettering wrote:
<snip>
Or in short: just f*ing fix the kernel first.

Are you volunteering? :)

I am not hacking on Tracker, am I?

And Tracker is not the kernel either, it is also not the only
application that could benefit :)

Right, so you don't want to do the work[1], you could at least engage
people who can work on fixing the problem. I didn't see anyone coming
from Tracker talk about what interfaces they would need before it was
discussed at GCDS this year.

I didn't say that and that is not the case either. I did talk to various people about improving the problems we have at GCDS this year. I also am not against fixing it or helping towards fixing it. I just resent people saying that we should fix a technology in the kernel because it "should be better" and isn't designed with our particular use case in mind and that it is our responsibility to do so before we can include Tracker.

Let's assume the indexer is still broken.

Quite a large assumption

Work on the integration in the desktop as a showcase.

[1]: Note that GNOME has been particularly good about engaging X and
kernel developers in the past, and even doing the work when there wasn't
even movement. This is the sort of attitude we want to see from GNOME
projects.

Rob has, I have, and Philip has really been doing a lot of too.

I should also add, inotify is not the ONLY technology which we have been discussing, setrlimit() is another and I could probably list a few others which we have been talking about with kernel developers.

--
Regards,
Martyn