Re: New module proposal: tracker

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 19:21 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

[CUT]

> 	Unfortunately, as soon as we have this, it is only a small
> feature-creep step to "lets index all .c/.h files to extract comments in
> the API documentation" - which (I suspect) then commits you to the
> disaster of irritating a lot of developers - so they turn it off, and
> getting bogged down indexing things no-one is ever going to want indexed
> by tracker (?).

We can also offer a way to configure very precisely what it is that you
want, and what it is that you don't want to mine or index.

And then we could on the GNOME desktop install a very sane default of
that configuration.

Technically ignoring certain directories, or detecting a condition that
means that we should ignore it or not, or ... ain't very hard.

We already have quite a bit of configurability for this, but we can make
it a point of action at the Tracker project to ensure that this becomes
even more flexible, and we can help develop that sane default for GNOME.

> 	Personally, I'd start by ignoring any directory tree with a configure*
> script in the top-level, or perhaps a .git / .svn directory - that
> should reduce the inotify pain :-)

Yeah, stuff like that ...

> 	So - my point is: are the devs fetching source code at the console -
> that you are concerned about above, really in the target audience for
> tracker ? and if so why ? inevitably they will use ctags or equivalent -
> ie. a tight, generic end-user focused scope is prolly a win.

Those devs can change the sane default of the GNOME desktop.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be