Re: R: git migration - svn:externals

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t i m zen co uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 12:09 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
>
>> I think gst-ffmpeg uses this feature. gst-ffmpeg is in git while it
>> uses ffmpeg which is in svn.
>
> Not really - gst-ffmpeg just runs svn checkout in autogen.sh, and that's
> it.
>
> We use git submodules in GStreamer though (we have a 'common' submodule
> for all other modules), but git submodules are still fairly cumbersome
> to use and I wouldn't recommend them until the git people make them less
> painful to use, at least not for projects where the submodule reference
> needs to be updated frequently.

   This whole idea of sub-modules is just brain-dead so I wouldn't
count on git developers fixing that instead of concentrating on
features of real importance. If you have some code (or even data) that
is needed by more than one of your modules/packages, you either put
that common stuff in another module/package and make other packages
depend on this or you just bite the bullet and don't mind the
redundancy. In some cases you just have to wisely use the combination
of both.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)