Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

Brian Cameron schrieb:

> Emmanuele:
>
>> we've been changing the platform gradually over the years, mostly by
>> deprecating stuff and including new functionality. nevertheless, I
>> haven't heard a single justification for the continued existence of
>> "applets".
>
> I wonder how this fits in with the gdesklets project, if at all.  I
> know Calum Benson, UI engineer at Sun, has suggested that it would be
> nicer from a UI perspective if there were just one desklet/applet
> type interface.  Perhaps moving to a gdesklets model would be nicer?
> Or do we need to reinvent the wheel here?
>
> Also, does the avant-window-manager fit into plans at all.  In terms
> of providing a nice interface for keeping track of running applications
> and providing desktop shortcuts, it seems a nice alternative to
> consider.
>
> Perhaps I missed the discussion where such alternative designs are
> being considered, so please forgive if I'm asking a stupid question.
>
> Brian

one major difference between desktop applets and panel applets is that windows
don't cover the panels. I brought a 24" screen for a good reason. On such a
setup I can easily spare 24 pixels here and there for the desktop. This way I
can easily see on gnome system monitor when my build is done and I don't need to
minimize windows to see how late it is.

Stefan