Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0

On 04/13/2009 12:20 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:45:56AM -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
What other changes in GNOME 2.30 depend on inclusion of mutter and
gnome-shell?  Not really sure why we are willing to hold back the 2.30
release, instead of holding back the inclusion of gnome-shell.

GNOME 2.30 does not depend on gnome-shell. GNOME 3.0 does. We could also
name 2.32 as 3.0 if really needed.

Hopefully my use of obnoxious repetition has made my point easier to
understand.

You wanted some input I guess. But IMO you should read the documents
closely. See the QA part. We want some modules included, doesn't mean
that they will, just that we really want them.

Apologies, I misread the documents on this.  It clearly says:

"we should not be afraid of keeping GNOME 2.30 as 2.30 and waiting for GNOME 2.32 for the 3.0 release"

Thank you for that clarification. It makes a big difference! I am now a bit more confident that concerns about gnome-shell and other 3.0 additions will be handled correctly.

Sandy