Re: dconf

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 09:40 +0100, Rob Taylor wrote:
> Stef Walter wrote:
> > Here you go:
> >
> > $ sudo gnome-terminal
> > [sudo] password for stef:
> > Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.
> >
> > Same applies to:
> >
> > $ gksudo gnome-terminal
> >
> > This bit me recently (Ubuntu Jaunty).

> This should work on any distro with the correct version of gconf (2.24).
> If this isn't working for you, my first port of call would be first to
> see if you have dbus-launch installed, then check you have the
> prerequisite .service file available. I would say this seems like a
> distro problem, but it works fine for me on Intrepid here.

In Jaunty:

burner phoenix:~$ cat /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gnome.GConf.service
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.gnome.GConf
Exec=/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2
burner phoenix:~$ which dbus-launch
/usr/bin/dbus-launch
burner phoenix:~$ sudo gnome-terminal
Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.
burner phoenix:~$ gksudo gnome-terminal
Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.

Filed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/354543

--
Michael R. Head <burner suppressingfire org>
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~mike/