Re: DVCS

28 okt 2008 kl. 19.05 skrev Behdad Esfahbod:

Mikael Hallendal wrote:
Hi,

I can't really see us coming to a consensus on this topic. Even after a vote we would have people continuing to use Bazaar if Git win and vice
verse. GNOME is by nature a distributed project with a lot of sub
modules, maintainers and thus preferences.

I personally think our time and energy would be better spent on finding ways to manage GNOME development with this diversity of version control
system (and public repositories).

Translations is often brought up as a tricky part for this, can we
handle them in a way where they are agnostic to the VCS system the
modules happen to be in. I know back in the days when we had Planner on
Codefactory servers it was a pain as the translation "system" we used
required the translators to commit directly into the CVS/SVN modules.

It's not just translation. I proposed this before but Olav says two systems is simply not within our sysadmin budget. Every script needs to be taught to
handle both, etc.

Ah,

What I meant was mainly that we can put one system on GNOME infrastructure but I think that people already using Git will continue to do so even after (or at least some of them).

Unless we have someone who can do the actual job it doesn't matter much what we vote and if we only got a sysadmin that can consider setting one of the systems up it only matters if that system wins or we are stuck waiting for a sys admin to come along and offers to set it up and maintain it for us.

Can we get away from central hosting on gnome.org servers? Don't know. That seems to have been what this whole situation has been getting us to. Federico hosts his projects on gitorious. Myself and many around me just push their git trees on their freedesktop.org account. Bzr-liking people use launchpad.

That's what I meant, this is the reality we are already living in. Maybe our time is better spent on making sure this reality works for our product.

// Micke

What I like to see is that the release team to shows some leadership and sit down and decide this. I'm sure either way we decide we can find someone to do
the actual work.

behdad

--
Mikael Hallendal