Re: new module proposal: brasero

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 00:19 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 04 novembre 2008 à 21:19 +0000, Luis Medinas a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 15:21 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > Yes. There are two separate things here: a real burning backend (which
> > > currently is cdrtools/cdrkit and in the end should probably be libburn)
> > > and a base UI.
> > >
> > NCB doesn't even support your cdrkit it still uses cdrecord so most of
> > the distros need to symlink cdrecord->wodim which is a shame and shows
> > that ncb needs update.
>
> Currently we can just patch n-c-b to that effect, it is really a minor
> annoyance. Of course it would be better to make it support both.

Other backend that should be implemented is libburnia that imo will save
the current status of burning on Linux (i said it previously).

> > > IMO the quickest way is to extend n-c-b to add the features it is
> > > missing.
> >
> > Why extend ncb when you have a full featured application ?
>
> Because ncb has the correct architecture to integrate into applications.
> If you want to do the same with brasero, you’ll end up redeveloping part
> of it.

Yes NCB integrates better since it's contains a library that makes
easier to do it but you can see the brasero can also offer this
integration via nautilus and some media players that are also using it.

> > > What exactly can the brasero front-end do that n-c-b cannot? Shouldn’t
> > > it be something that we could add to the n-c-b burn dialog?
> >
> > What about the features that nowdays every user wants ?
>
> Which features exactly?

Videocd, Videodvd, normalize audiotracks, cdtext, preview, cd covers
etc...

> > Brasero is using
> > almost every GNOME "technology" to get the best experience. In terms of
> > front end it's simple and easy to use.
>
> As a user, I find n-c-b much easier to use. At least, I’d like to see
> something similar to burn:/// remain, whatever solution is chosen.

Brasero in svn trunk already supports burn://.

Luis