Re: new module proposal: brasero

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 15:21 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 03 novembre 2008 à 23:48 +0100, Luca Ferretti a écrit :
> > Examples of backends are nautilus-cd-burner and brasero :-) OK, serious.
> > >From UI point of view, backend is the the dialog showing you the
> > progress of burning process, a software between the frontend and
> > cd*tools.
>
> Yes. There are two separate things here: a real burning backend (which
> currently is cdrtools/cdrkit and in the end should probably be libburn)
> and a base UI.

NCB doesn't even support your cdrkit it still uses cdrecord so most of
the distros need to symlink cdrecord->wodim which is a shame and shows
that ncb needs update.

> > Now, the question is: how many changes do we need in Brasero and other
> > applications/libraries to achieve the goal of a flexible burning
> > framework for GNOME?
>
> IMO the quickest way is to extend n-c-b to add the features it is
> missing.

Why extend ncb when you have a full featured application ?
Where we can add the cdrkit and most important libburnia backend that is
actually MAINTAINED and solves most of the burning problems on Linux.

> > Sparse Notes:
> >       * IMHO currently brasero (as "backend") is better then n-c-b, at
> >         least 'cause brasero provides multisession and
> >         blanking/formatting
>
> AFAIK n-c-b provides blanking. I should add here that brasero seems to
> have some stability issues (but it is something that should go away with
> time).

Please point us a bug and we will do the best we can to fix the bug.

> >       * About the "frontend" I think could be good put burn:// location
> >         and brasero side by side in the desktop, having a simple
> >         Nautilus add-in to quickly burn stuff as well as a full featured
> >         (but not bloated) application
>
> What exactly can the brasero front-end do that n-c-b cannot? Shouldn’t
> it be something that we could add to the n-c-b burn dialog?

What about the features that nowdays every user wants ? Brasero is using
almost every GNOME "technology" to get the best experience. In terms of
front end it's simple and easy to use.