Re: new module proposal: brasero

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 00:52 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 17:02 -0600, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> > 2008/11/1 Philippe Rouquier <rouquier p wanadoo fr>
> >         Hi,
> >
> >         We'd be interested in having brasero integrated into the GNOME
> >         desktop.
> >

> > +1, a wonderful application. n-c-b should be completely removed.
>
> Problem is it's a stand-alone application. It doesn't integrate with the
> workflow or usage pattern that we set out to achieve with
> nautilus-cd-burner.
>
> There's no shame in brasero _not_ being in the GNOME release. And it
> doesn't stop distributions shipping it if they feel that their users
> would want more features for CD burning.
>
> Let me write the supposed workflow for CD burning in GNOME (that's not
> quite what it is currently):
>
> * Media is inserted first
> - User inserts blank media
> - The CD creator window opens up inviting the user to add files to the
> location to burn onto a CD
> - User clicks "write to CD"
> - nautilus-cd-burner opens, click write, done
>
> * User knows they want to create a CD:
> - User scours the menus, finds the "CD/DVD creator" under System Tools
> - Window is inviting the user to add files
> - Clicks write to CD
> - nautilus-cd-burner opens, click write, a disc will be requested, done

Brasero can do these options as well of course it needs minor tweaks
from other modules do actually behave like that.

> The 3rd option is integration into applications. Rhythmbox allows to
> burn audio CDs from existing playlists, gthumb allows burning CDs/DVDs
> from image albums and image folders.

Banshee and Exaile already integrate Brasero, afaik because some of NCB
API changes in the past, save some code/job and because it's a stand
alone application that can use multiple backends with debugging and
other features.

> Brasero currently only offers an answer to the second option. And what
> we're really looking for is an answer for option 3. I'll take patches to
> create Video DVDs from a Totem playlist, and I'm sure Pitivi hackers
> would be happy for it to have the same treatment.

Sure Brasero already uses Totem playlists more integration in other apps
could be done in the future.

Luis