Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

"Patryk Zawadzki" <patrys pld-linux org> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Martyn Russell <martyn imendio com> wrote:
>>  Currently there are 22 files which either have or should have my/Gossip
>>  copyright information in libempathy alone. There are 43 source files. So
>>  half of libempathy is not copyright to you to re-license.
>
> So you are basically saying "I'm -1 because of relicensing problems
> that I'm causing myself?" Please point the rest of us to the
> discussion where Imendio/Gossip staff gives their reasons against
> LGPL.

Some reasons to not use the LGPL for libraries are already well known,
see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html>.

Having LGPLv2 only libraries in GNOME would be problematic if GNOME
wants to depend on LGPLv3 libraries in the future, which I consider
inevitable.

/Simon