Re: GNOME 2.23 Schedule

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 15:57 +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> >  > 10. Easy mounting of Images like ISO and CUE
> >
> >  This seems to be in the process of being included, thanks to GVFS.
>
> Indeed, but it would have been nice to know this was important to
> users before. The fact that GVFS allows this is a strike of luck.

I (as partly the developer of said functionallity) find this pretty
insulting. There are many ways of knowing what users want/need, and
having spent 10 years developing the gnome file manager and vfs stack I
have a pretty good view of what that is, likely better than most
individual users. The reason this happens now was not luck, not was it
that someone told me that its important.

No, the reason was first of all that Benjamin Otte thought this was an
interesting piece to work on and actually did the work, and secondly
because I've spent the last two years making the infrastructure so that
it is possible to implement.

There really are not as much developer time around as you seem to think,
where just listing stuff that people want done leads to it being done.
There is a handful of overworked people working on the vfs and the file
manager, and there are thousands of bugs and enhancements requests in
bugzilla. Adding more enhancement requests does not make things better.